Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Van

The garden 
Has
A million dollar view -
     And gophers
She advised getting 
A snake !
     Good idea -
Says I -
A gopher snake. 
But where would one 
Purchase one ? 

She lives in her van 
Hassled by the cops -
They took her liscense -
So now she can't drive -
But 
She still lives 
     In her van 
Waiting for 
Section 8

Which is what they call
Government assistance -
     With housing 
It will be federal, 
     She says, 
So she can move 
     Anywhere 

And she doesn't feel guilty,
     She says 
For taking taxpayer money 
     She's had eight children -
One's a doctor 
But 
She doesn't want to rely 
On them 

It reminds me 
I must begin 
The yearly test 
In mathematics 
Which they call 
Taxes - here

She's bought 
     A little dog -
On social security
     With no rent to pay
She has money

More than you 
Or I 

I worked so hard
For so long
For this old house 
     Only to watch it crumble 
Slowly -
Unable to afford 
To fix it 

Sometimes I wish 
I had a van 
To sleep in 



No comments:

Post a Comment